Pumpkin is the star attraction in this remake of the Swiss Roll with a deliciously sweet cream cheese filling.
Cream Cheese and Pumpkin Roll
For the cake
- ¾ cup unbleached plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or a mixture of cloves, ginger, and allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup pumpkin purée
For the filling
- 225 g cream cheese, softened
- 4½ tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease and line a standard 25cm x 38cm jelly roll pan with baking paper.
- To make the cake - In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until thick, fluffy, and light in colour. Beat in the pumpkin.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake the cake for 14 to 16 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly touched. Remove the cake from the oven, and allow it to cool in the pan for 2 minutes.
- Loosen the edges with a knife or spatula. Lightly spray a second piece of baking paper with non-stick vegetable oil spray and invert the cake onto the prepared second piece of baking paper.
- Using the two pieces of baking paper, roll the cake up from the short end. Allow it to cool completely, wrapped in the baking paper.
- To make the filling - Mix the cream cheese and butter until well combined.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- To assemble the cake - Carefully unroll the cake and spread it with the filling.
- Re-roll the filled cake with the filling inside, and place it seam-side down on a serving plate. Trim the ends for a clean appearance.
- If desired, dust with icing sugar right before slicing and serving. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Add to My Saved Recipes Go to Saved Recipes Rate this Recipe