These quick and easy savoury scones feature pumpkin, ginger, and a hint of curry. They are absolutely wonderful on a cold winters day.
- 3 cups plain flour (all-purpose flour)
- ¾ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped crystallised (candied) ginger
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric , optional, for colour
- 3¾ tablespoons sugar
- 115 g cold butter, cut into eight pieces
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup buttermilk
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, curry, turmeric and sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, your fingers, or with an electric mixer, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and buttermilk until smooth. Add this to the dry ingredients, stirring till just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and pat or roll it into a 25 cm circle about 2 cm thick. Cut into wedges (about 5cm across at the wide end), and transfer them to a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving about 2 cm between each scone. (You can make smaller wedges or even square scones - just re-knead and cut as desired - do not over-knead them though)
- Bake the scones in a preheated 220°C oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve them warm, or at room temperature.
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra