This recipe for sweet potato pie is comfort food at its best. Made with delicious sweet potatoes, butter, and spices; the heavenly aroma of old fashioned home cooking will fill your house as this pie bakes. This is a must have for a special meal or any time you want to serve good home cooking.
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- 1½ cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 unbaked 23 cm pie crust
- Preheat oven to 175°C
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat until blended then add egg yolks and beat.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, vanilla, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites. When foamy, slowly add ¼ cup sugar and beat until stiff. Fold into the sweet potato mixture.
- Place in pie crust, bake about 40 minutes until firm. Serve with whipped cream.