Potatoes sauteed in a thick coating of poppy seeds is a signature dish from Bengali cuisine.
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Optional step - Soak the poppy seeds in a bowl of water overnight. (You may want to wash them a few times with water if pressed for time.)
- Pour the poppy seeds into a blender, add ¼ cup of water, and blend into a smooth paste. (Every now and then, use a spatula to push the seeds down the side of the blender.). Set paste aside in a bowl. (Alternatively use a mortar and pestle)
- Add oil to a medium hot pan. Add the dry red chillies and nigella seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the sliced onions. Continue cooking for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the sliced green chillies, continue stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water, cubed potatoes, ground turmeric, salt, and poppy seed paste. Stir to combine and cover.
- Occasionally remove the cover and stir the mixture. If you have to add some water, then do so. Adjust salt to taste. (Poppy seeds have a tendency to stick at the bottom so be very careful and scrape the bottom and sides while cooking. )
- Continue cooking until the potatoes are soft and coated with the gravy. Serve hot.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 511kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 23g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 67mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra