[su_brhrbr]This quick vegetarian chilli is packed with black beans, sweet potatoes, and the smoky heat of ground chipotle chillies. This meal is perfect as a snack, lunch, or dinner, and any extra can be frozen for another night.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chilli, see note
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups water
- 2 x 425g cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 x 425g can diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, chilli powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coriander.
- Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread and coleslaw.
Cooks Notes & Variations
Rate this Recipe