- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chilli, see note
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups water
- 2 x 425g cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 x 425g can diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
Rate & Comment on this this Recipe
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, chilli powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coriander.
- Serve with tortilla chips or cornbread and coleslaw.
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Omit the chilli chipotle ground peppers if you prefer a mild chilli. Chilli Chipotle Ground peppers are smoked, dried jalapeño chillies. They appeared when the Aztecs used to add dried chilli to food as a preservation method. They have a rich smokey flavour, with nutty, leathery notes that blend well with other strong flavours. Can be found in the spice section of larger supermarkets, South American food stores or online at The Spice People Old El Paso Black Beans 425g
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg
Like this recipe?Follow us @csoftwareaustra