Kale tends to be rather tough and stringy when raw. One of the most common raw recipes you’ll see is the raw kale and avocado salad. In this Japanese inspired salad, the mixture of salt and citrus juices essentially “cooks” the leaves and breaks them down enough to make it a delicious salad.
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2½ tablespoons , juice only of lemon
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped into a paste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 2 tablespoons raw hemp seeds, optional
- 1 bunch kale , about 350g, stemmed and finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together juices, soy sauce, and garlic in a bowl. Slowly whisk in oil; set dressing aside.
- Cut 2 avocados into 1 cm cubes and thinly slice the remaining avocado.
- Put cubed avocados, half of the hemp seeds, and kale into a serving bowl.
- Toss kale mixture with dressing and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Divide salad between plates and garnish with sliced avocado and remaining hemp seeds.