Potato and Sweet Potato Torte
Layers of potatoes and sweet potatoes meld into an impressive vegetable “cake” that forms a golden crust during baking. Serve as a vegetarian centrepiece or with roast poultry or pork.
Servings: 6Print Recipe Rate this Recipe Pin Recipe
- ¾ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large leeks, trimmed, thoroughly cleaned and sliced
- ¾ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 450 g sweet potatoes, about 2 small, peeled and cut into thin ¼ cm thick slices
- 450 g potatoes, (2 or 3 medium), peeled and cut into thin ¼ cm thick slices
- Set oven rack at the lowest level; preheat to 225°C. Lightly oil a deep-dish pie plate (6-cup capacity) or coat it with vegetable oil spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper or aluminium foil. Lightly coat the paper or foil with oil or cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and thyme and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water to prevent scorching.) Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange half of the sweet potato slices, slightly overlapping, in the bottom of the prepared pie plate and season with salt and pepper. Spread one-third of the leek mixture over the top. Arrange half of the all-purpose potato slices third of the leeks. Layer remaining sweet potatoes, leeks and all purpose potatoes in the same manner.
- Cover the pie plate tightly with aluminium foil and bake about 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. (The torte can be prepared ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat, covered, in a moderate oven.) Run a knife around the edge of the torte to loosen it. Invert onto a serving plate. Remove paper or foil liner and serve.
Rate this Recipe