Vegetarian Lentil & Beetroot Burger
This vegetarian burger tastes so good you'll never eat a beef burger again.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate this Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 250 g cooked brown lentils
- 325 g raw beetroot, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 6 tablespoons plain flour or cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
- 6 slices peeled fresh pineapple
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 to matoes, sliced
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 6 sourdough buns or brioche
Rate this Recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic and chilli until soft. Transfer to a plate and place into the fridge to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the lentils, cooled onion mixture, beetroot, egg, turmeric, garam masala, paprika and ginger until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle in the flour (or cornmeal) one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is dry and firm enough to hold together.
- Shape mixture into 6 individual patties.
- Place onto a tray and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Heat the extra olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 5–6 minutes each side, until caramelised and heated through.
- Lay out all the remaining ingredients on a large chopping board with the warm patties and let people construct their own burgers. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe NewsletterSign up to our ad-free newsletter and every fortnight you will receive fresh recipes, new cooking glossary items, and a look at a few cooking and food related questions.
Serving : 1g | Calories : 557.6kcal | Carbohydrates : 85.1g | Protein : 22.4g | Fat : 15.5g | Saturated Fat : 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat : 6.7g | Monounsaturated Fat : 0g | Trans Fat : 0g | Cholesterol : 61mg | Sodium : 338.3mg | Potassium : 0mg | Fibre : 18.6g | Sugar : 22.8g | Vitamin A : 0% | Vitamin C : 0% | Calcium : 0% | Iron : 0%