For the garlic purée
- 1 head garlic
- water, to cover
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
For the tapenade
- 600 g 1½ lb pitted black olives
- 6-8 anchovy fillets in oil, cubed
- 50 g 1¾ oz capers, finely chopped
- drizzle of olive oil
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic purée
- 1 sliced baguette, to serve
For the anchoïade
- 250 g 8¾ oz anchovy fillets in oil
- 150 g 5¼ oz garlic purée
- 500 ml 17½ fl oz olive oil
- 15 g ½ oz basil. finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme flowers, ground in a mortar and pestle
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
For the crudités
- 3 carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 sticks celery, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into bite-sized pieces
To make the garlic purée
Peel the cloves of one head of garlic. Cut each clove of garlic in half and remove the green sprout in each. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil in a saucepan for 1 minute. Change the water, then repeat this process three times. Drain very well, then place in a blender with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt, and mix until smooth (unused mixture can be kept in the fridge for other recipes for up to 12 days).
To make the tapenade
Chop the olives very finely. Add the anchovy fillets, cut into tiny cubes, then the chopped capers and continue to chop all ingredients until all very fine.
Add enough olive oil, 1 teaspoon at a time, until you have a paste consistency.
Add a pinch of cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoon (or more if desired) of garlic purée and mix. Set the tapenade aside.
To make the anchoïade
Put the anchovies and 150 g of garlic puree in a food processor and blend, then drizzle in the olive oil through the processors lid as it mixes.
Add the basil and 1 teaspoon of the thyme flowers
Add the mustard, then the vinegar and blend until a puree consistency
Serve the anchoïade with the crudités, and the tapenade with the sliced baguette, along with additional dips, such as ratatouille and caviar d'aubergine.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg