- 1.8 kg top round beef, with fat
- 2 ¼ tablespoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (red pepper flakes)
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat, or canola oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 cup garlic, whole cloves
- ½ cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 baguette rolls halved, toasted <em>(sourdough rolls work well)</em>
- 1 cup chopped giardiniera vinaigrette vegetables
- 1 cup bottled red capsicums
Rub meat with dry ingredients, cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 135°C
Add meat to a roasting pan with bacon fat, add onions and garlic, saute for 15 minutes, deglaze with wine, and add Worcestershire sauce, beef stock and bay leaves.
Place roasting pan in the oven and cook for 3 hours, uncovered, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 60°C in centre. Remove, let cool, then slice very thin.
Cool broth in roasting pan and remove the fat that rises to the top. Strain.
Reheat the broth, and add the sliced meat. Place some meat on each toasted roll, ladle with some broth and top with giardiniera vegetables and capsicums.
Serving: 0g | Calories: 0kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg