Servings: 146 tablespoons (Approx 12 x 250ml jars)
- 800 g cucumbers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 400 g chopped white onion
- 200 g chopped red capsicums (bell peppers)
- 200 g chopped green capsicums (bell peppers)
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1200 ml water plus 3 tablespoons water
- 700 g sugar
- 450 ml white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- a couple of drops of Blue No.1. food colouring, not green as you might think
Put all the chopped ingredients in a large bowl.
Sprinkle salt on top.
Cover with water and leave overnight.
In the morning drain, rinse, and drain again.
Press to get as much juice out as possible.
In a large pot combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed & mustard seed.
Bring to the boil; add chopped ingredients back to mixture, return to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Mix the cornflour with 60ml (2 fl oz) of water. Add to mixture gradually to thicken slowly.
Pour into prepared jars and seal.
If you want an authentic looking Chicago relish, add the food colouring.
Serving: 1tablespoon | Calories: 22.7kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.5g | Protein: 0.1g | Fat: 0.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 32.8mg | Potassium: 17.9mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 5.1g | Vitamin A: 51.9IU | Vitamin C: 3.2mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 0.1mg