Pancetta Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Whether you want a snack or a fancy side dish these baked sweet potatoes with pancetta, shiitake mushrooms, and broccoli rabe are a quick and easy option.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 4 sweet potatoes about 225g each
- 60 g sliced pancetta about 8 thin slices
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (rapini) tough stems trimmed, roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 225 g shiitake mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (red pepper flakes)
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly grated nutmeg
Pierce each sweet potato in 4 or 5 places with a fork. Arrange on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for about 10 - 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side until crisp (about 4 minutes). Remove and drain on paper towels.
Increase the heat to medium high; add the broccoli rabe and ¼ teaspoon salt to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 3 more minutes.
Mix the ricotta, Parmesan, and nutmeg to taste in a small bowl.
Split open the sweet potatoes lengthwise and fluff the flesh with a fork.
Top each with about 1 teaspoon of the ricotta mixture, then top evenly with the broccoli rabe mixture and the remaining ricotta mixture.
Chop the pancetta and sprinkle evenly on top. (alternatively mix the chopped pancetta with the sweet potato in step 6)
Serve as a side-dish or as a snack on its own.