Servings: 8 servings
- 350 g Italian sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 420 g diced tomatoes, can drained
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend, crushed
- 6 lasagna sheets
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 450 g ricotta cheese, or 2 cups cottage cheese, drained
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chopped cooked fresh spinach, (see Note 1)
- 225 g sliced mozzarella cheese
For the meat sauce:
Remove casings from sausage, if necessary. Crumble sausage into large skillet sprayed with cooking spray; add onion and cook on medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
Drain off fat. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato puree, and Italian seasoning. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
Simmer, uncovered, for 15 - 20 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency.
Meanwhile, cook lasagna sheets according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again.
In a medium bowl, combine egg, ricotta cheese, and ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese. Stir in the spinach.
In an ungreased 33 x 23 x 5 cm (13 x 9 x 2") baking dish, arrange three of the cooked lasagna sheets. Spread with half of the filling. Top with half of the meat sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering lasagna sheets, filling, meat sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
- Use 250 g (8¾ oz) chopped frozen spinach in place of the fresh spinach.
- You can use less filling between each layer and use more pasta sheets.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 464kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 634mg | Potassium: 535mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1095IU | Vitamin C: 11.1mg | Calcium: 356mg | Iron: 2.6mg